Temple of the Golden Pavilion (or Kinkaku-ji) was listed on UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1994. Formally known under the name of Rokuon-ji (Deer Garden Temple) the Golden Pavilion is a temple dedicated to the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy, Kannon. Kinkaku-ji was originally built in 1397 but the present structure dates from 1955 while it was burned down twice during the Ōnin War. Now, the temple is a three-story building on the grounds of the Rokuon-ji temple complex. The top two stories of the pavilion are covered with pure gold leaf. In addition to its worldly treasure, Kinkakuji is highly valuable because it is a shariden, housing relics of the Buddha.